Thursday, October 1, 2015

Parish-Hadley Tree of Life: An Intimate History of The Legendary Design Firm




The firm of Parish-Hadley Associates was the premier interior design company in America for more than three decades. In Parish-Hadley Tree of Life by Brian J. McCarthy and Bunny Williams, thirty premier interior designers tell of their own personal and intimate experiences of working in this illustrious firm with Sister Parish and Albert Hadley. 

This eminent design firm was commissioned by some of the most prestigious families in America;  the Getty's, Rockefeller's, Astor's, Kennedy's and more. To this day the designers who began with Parish-Hadley Associates work for some of the most esteemed families and corporations in the world!


You will see the aesthetics of interior designers ranging from Brian McCarthy and Bunny Williams to James Andrew, David Easton to Thom Felicia, Mariette Himes Gomez to Thomas Jayne, David Kleinberg to Libby Cameron, John J Tackett, and more! (and I do admire and love all 30 of them!)



Bunny Williams interior, photo credit: Fritz von der Schulenberg 
Bunny Williams recounts in the introduction, "Parish Hadley was the rarity of a combination of two people who were very different in their direction but both passionate about beautiful houses. They came at it from different ways. But it was the combination that made it magic."



Brian Murphy interior, photo credit: Sergio Villatoro


Thomas Hamel interior, photo credit: Matt Lowden


Brian McCarthy interior, photo credit: Francesco Lagnese

Brian McCarthy writes in the introduction:
"Curiosity. It all goes back to curiosity. If we really think back to Parish-Hadley, and all of us who came out of there, the common thread is that we were curious. And that was absolutely fostered by the two of them.

There was also this view to the artistry of design and decorating, and the process of developing  the ideas and the samples. If I think about the level of detail that I go to today, where did it all begin? It began at Parish-Hadley."



Kevin Sharkey interior, photo credit: Paul Costello


James Andrew interior, photo credit:  Mathew Dean


Interior Designer and Author Bunny Williams, photo credit: John Bessler

Interior Designer and Author Brian J. McCarthy
Photo Credit: 
©PatrickMcMullan.com
Thank you to Abrams Books for the Publicity copy of Parish-Hadley Tree of Life: An Inmate History of the Legendary Design Firm. I encourage my readers to add this very special book to your library. It can be purchased at Amazon.com or at your local bookseller.

Published by Stewart, Tabori, and Chang, October 13, 2015

Also please don't miss my post on Brian McCarthy's fabulous book, Luminous Interiors! You will love seeing more of his design works!



Thank you to my Friends, Family and Followers who Support The Arts!
Please do leave a comment as they make my day.
Sign up for email alerts to receive notification of my latest features!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

17 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

You always make my day with your comments...so I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I always love to see the talent you feature!

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

Such gorgeous interiors! I particularly love the bedroom by James Andrew.

Segreto Secrets said...

All beautiful! You have a gift of sharing just the right things!! xo Leslie Sinclair

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I'm a huge fan of Bunny Williams, Karena. Great photos. Have a great weekend.

Dean Farris said...

Great post!

Linda Pakravan said...

Thanks for the review! I have this book on my must have list! Have a great wekend.

Ivy Lane said...

Thank you for sharing Karena! This book must be fascinating!!!! I am also a fan of Bunny Williams.

Have an awesome weekend!
Ivy

The Devoted Classicist said...

It is a beautiful book and an interesting read if I do say.

John J. Tackett said...

Thank-you for the mention. I was grateful to be asked to be part of it. I think everyone interested in the history of design and how it has evolved will enjoy the book.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Looks like a great book...its on my forever growing book list!

Jill said...

It is lovely to meet you. I love so many of the pictures in this post! Thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog. I hope you can get a copy of the Liz Taylor jewelry book, it is amazing!

Woodside Park said...

Cannot wait to get this book! Gorgeous preview, Karena. I am adding this to my design library. Cheers, L

cotedetexas said...

The cover alone is so fabulous!!!!!!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Looks like an amazing book Karena....talented designers honoring the great icons of designs. A must have design book!....Great review Karena....beautiful images.

LBDDiaries said...

Perfect timing! Alpha Hubby and I have been zen-ing our house for this past year, and will be looking for some amazing new looks. Just these pictures alone mean I have to purchase this book! I love that clean, white look.

Anonymous said...

Very well written article,
I have articles on Interior design. do share your opinion.
https://interior-king.webs.com/apps/blog/show/48087031-holistic-home-decor-and-furniture
http://interior-king.simplesite.com/445666665
http://interior-king.over-blog.com/2020/04/selecting-interior-furniture-correctly.html
https://interior-king.sitey.me/blog/post/52198/interior-decorating-for-bathroom
http://interiorking.manifo.com/blog/interior-design-made-easy

Thanks, Aditi

Anonymous said...

تقوم الشركة الهندسية بتوريد أفضل ماكينات حقن بلاستيك في مصر ، والتي تعتبر مثالية للمصانع الناشئة والقائمة وكذلك الشركات الجديدة. بفضل أجهزتها المتميزة في هذا المجال ، فهي أفضل مورد لجميع هذه الكيانات.

Blog Archive